Friday, July 20, 2012

Assembly - Part I

My wife and I got married in June, so between last minute planning, out of town guests, wedding and honeymoon, I didn't touch the bike for about a month.

The day I got back from my honeymoon, I started working again.  Put the front fork bearings on, installed the triple clamps, and put the wiring harness on.  The pictures I took, and even the videos really helped when it came time to figure out how to route all the electrical wires.

I also bought a front wheel from the same model in much better shape than my rusty original one, which cleaned up even nicer and looks great with a new tire.

By the way, I have no garage, so most of the work was done in my living room, until I get the wheels and tires on and it can roll back outside in my car port parking spot.


Started off by getting new rim strips, tubes, and tires.
Front wheel with tire mounted for looks (no tube yet)

Shinko 244 Series Dual Sport "Golden Boy" Tires



Lower triple clamp - Powder coated, and greased for bearings

I had to remove the swing arm bushings in order to get it to powder, unfortunately I destroyed one of them trying to remove it, so I had to replace it.  Also a very hard part to find and once i found it it was more expensive than i would have thought. 


Frame with swing arm, suspension and electrical stuff

 
Battery box, and tool box bolted in.  Regular paint, no powder.

Replaced the brake pedal spring with a new old stock one

I took apart the rear wheel, because the spokes were a dark brown rusty color.  I found new (old stock) spokes on ebay, and sprung the money for them, they look awesome!  I laced the wheel myself, but took it to a grumpy old mechanic to true the wheel properly.




2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have 1971 g4tr-a. Anyone know how plastic piece in hi-lo is supposed to be assembled to reinstall. I pulled the cover and everything fell out. Also I changed oil and when bike is leaned left it runs out of foot shifter shaft. Bike hasn't run in 25 years. Hoping I can give to my grandson if I can get it going. any help would be awesome. Thanks

    ReplyDelete