Sunday, July 22, 2012

Disassembly and clean-up

March 24 - April 16, 2012

First thing i did was take a million pictures of everything, so I would remember how to put it all back together.  Also took a lot of video of the wiring harness so i could figure out how to put all the wires back on.

Stuff started coming off pretty steady every day until I ran out of stuff to take off.

The fuel tank was in very rough shape.  Everything had rust on it, EVERYTHING!

After going over it and checking it out up close I found out it had been in some sort of crash.  The front wheel would point way off to the right when the handlebars were straight.  This explained why the forks would not compress properly, they were bent to hell.

I got new (used) forks on ebay for $30.
The lower triple clamp was also bent, got one on ebay for $12
The front fender was broken in half, i fixed that myself with a laser cut reinforcement plate under it i made at work.
Also damaged in the crash were the kill switch (completely gone) and the hi/low gear change lever. Those suckers were hard to find and expensive, $30 each.  ouch!
The handlebar is also slightly bent, but I will live with it.
Most importantly the frame, looked good and straight.


Carburator side cover gasket was torn up.  Removed and cleaned out carb


After some work on the handlebar rust
Check out that crooked wheel






Found some good use for that phone book


After "Metal Rescue"
Before "Metal Rescue"

Found a bunch of dead spiders.  This poor sucker grew to big to get out







This is how bad the lower triple clamp was bent

Rusty muffler

 After taking parts off I spent hours cleaning, sanding, buffing, grinding, and polishing to remove rust an restore to as close to original as possible.

I ordered a gallon of a product called "Metal Rescue" (rust remover bath) and it became my best friend.  I would soak parts, nuts, bolts, etc. in it every night, worked great.  


No comments:

Post a Comment