Friday, July 6, 2012

High / Low Gear Change Mechanism

I have received a few questions about the high/low range gear box.

Here is a parts diagram showing the transmission parts as well as the high/low gear change parts.

Bellow I have a picture with the same parts labeled and a parts list with part numbers that can be used to search on ebay etc.



Left to right = Diagram Number ~ Kawasaki Part Number ~ Part Name

Here you can see it with the side cover on and the cable going into it


 
High/low Shift lever on right side next to kill switch - shown in the low position

If the cover has a different shape (like the one shown bellow), then it is a G4 TR/A which is a completely different design that i am not too familiar with.





This is how I have assembled this...

1. Grease the bearing holes on the output shaft (#8) so that the ball bearings (#9) will stay on the shaft.  
2. Insert the shift rod (#3)
3. Put all 8 ball bearing on from the outside of the shaft (#9)
4. Slide on the bigger gear "high gear" (#5) making sure the back of the part goes into the sprocket.
5. Slide on the smaller gear "low gear" (#4)
6. Insert "shaft counter" (#2)
7. Insert "gear counter" (#1)
8. The tricky part is putting the cover back on with the shift rod (#3) inserted in the slot on the cover so that it shifts when you move the shifter.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the picture! Mine is a 72 but it looks different. I have a cable going into the side of the cover. The lever to switch from hi to low is on the handlebar.

    Where is your hi\low switch?

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine also has the cable going into the side of the cover just behind the foot rest. The gear change lever is on the handlebar as well, I added some more info and pictures. I can probably take a few better pics and post them later on.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. These added pictures helps a lot. I just bought all the gears from ebay last night. $30 plus shipping. They were for a 1970 so the lever is manual, not the cable. But I took some of your part numbers and searched for them. It seems they used the same from like 70 to 74.

    I sure glad you have this blog and I very thankful that your willingness to help.

    The ebayer also have the carb side cover that I missing. Waiting on a shipping quote.

    Still missing Ign switch, air cleaner assy and kick starter.

    Thanks again
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, great blog. I have a 74 G4TR that is missing part of the hi/lo switching mechanism including the cable. Do you have any more pictures of the hi/lo lever on the side cover, and do you happen to have the part number of the change cable? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, your website comes to my aid. I managed to fumble my way through this last night and got it all back in one piece but need to make sure my shift rod is in the right place (mine's a G4TR-A which is nearly identical in this section, except it uses a lever on the crankcase itself and I need to make sure I have the shift rod seated properly). I'm amazed how little documentation is available about the crankcase-mounted lever on the older ones; I ordered a Clymer manual that will (hopefully) cover it, otherwise I'll just wing it and see what happens. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sebastian, awesome info, I have the exact same bike and wondering what you do for turn signal for legal street riding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, also do you know where the starter cable connects to mine was rapped around the handle bars? And where did you get air cleaner filter from?

      Delete
  6. California vehicle code requires turn signals on motorcycles built and first registered after jan 1, 1973. So the 72 is exepmt from that law. I have a small print out of that section of the vehicle code and keep it in the little tool storage box on the bike with my registration and insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!
      Would you , by chance, know where i can get a new primary gear from? The one with the dimpled internal copper band.

      Delete
  7. to change to the high 5 gears do the bike has to moving maxed out in the low 5 gears? do you use clutch to switch to the high range? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a sticker on the handlebars of my 1976 KV100 that says,

      "CAUTION: CHANGING THE HI-LO GEAR WHILE IN MOTION WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO TRANSMISSION. CHANGE ONLY WHEN STOPPED."

      I understood this transmission to not be a full 10 speed transmission, but instead a transmission that could do high rpm slow creeping speeds for rustling cattle as well as climbing steep inclines; and a regular high rpm high speed for regular traveling purposes. Thank you for posting this diagram.

      Delete
    2. I can't tell on my 75' G4TR what direction is hi and which low? Glad to know about the being stationary thing. Hopefully I haven't broken anything

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this valuable information just started rebuilding my engine.

    ReplyDelete