Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Engine - Part I

July 25, 2012

I tore into the engine after work.  The head came off easy, but the cylinder jug needed some convincing to break free.  I sprayed a bunch of liquid wrench in the stud holes and around the outside of the gasket, then tapped it with a mallet.  Its scary to tap those dinky fins, but a good tap on the front where the exhaust port is, finally did the trick.

Once I removed the cylinder, I stuffed a rag in the engine and went on to clean the carbon deposits off the piston, but later realized there was too much carbon bellow the rings.  Did some reseach since I don't know shit, and found out this is a sign of blow by, and I decided i should probably rebuild the top end.  Might as well do it right, while the engine is out, besides its probably never been done.







Now I need to figure out if the cylinder bore needs to be honed, if so how much, and how to know what size (oversize) piston and rings to buy.

Found a motorcycle shop near my house with good reviews, so I might leave this one to the pro's.

July 26, 2012

I went to my friends house and we tore into the engine a little bit more.  Spent about an hour scraping gaskets, and then took the left case off to reveal a pretty messed up sprocket.  We put some new gaskets in, still got some more work to do today or tomorrow. 







There was a lot dirt and mud in there

Here is my damn $60 sprocket


July 27, 2012

I went back to my friends house and put the engine back together just to get it home.  I will have to take the side plate off again to get the new sprocket in, once it arrives.


Took the oil pump off just to check it out. 




1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am going to post my G4 pics here http://startingline.com/ on my business website. Under "services" you will see "restorations". Thought you might enjoy seeing another G4 fully restored. Dave

    ReplyDelete