Sunday, July 8, 2012

Maintenance - Fork Oil Seals

November 4, 2012

The fork seals on my fork tubes were bad and leaking ugly brown oil everywhere.  I had ordered a set of original fork seals a while ago so I took the bike and all my stuff to my parents house to swap the seals.

The process was very simple, and it actually really helped that i had my old bent fork tubes that i could practice on to make sure i didnt screw up the good ones.

I put the new seals in, filled fork tubes with new fork oil and put it all back together and went for a ride.  I checked after the ride and no oil leaks!

Its looking like the bike is pretty much ready to take to the desert at the end of the month!

I wasnt sure how much fork oil to put in, I think my manual says it but I forgot it at my friends shop.  I ended up measuring how much fluid came out of each tube and it was around 4oz, so thats how much new fluid I put in.  Hope to get my hands on my manual soon to double check.












UPDATE: January 2, 2013

I got my hands on a manual and found out the fork oil capacities.

According to the chart, the G4TR gets 0.18 of a quart.  with 32oz in 1qt, thats 5.76 oz in each fork, so I fell a little bit short with only doing 4oz each.



2 comments:

  1. Informative blog! Sometimes, crap will become lodge between the seal lip and the fork slider. So dislodging will be a trap between the rubber seal and the fork tube is enough to allow the seal to once again lie against the inner slider.
    bike gadgets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found my f7 Kawi fork oil capacify on your chart and nowhere else so thank you!

    ReplyDelete